Skip to main content

CSU Dominguez Hills Origin Collections at CSUDH

These collections document the founding and early history of California State University, Dominguez Hills

CSU Dominguez Hills Origin Collections

These collections document the history of the university, from the 1960 charter establishing the mandate for a college in Los Angeles County's South Bay region to planning and building of the campus at Dominguez Hills. Materials in the collection include correspondence, building and curriculum plans, operational specifications, city resolutions, petitions, newsclippings, and photographs. Photographs have been removed to the California State University Dominguez Hills photograph Collection.

  • CSUDH Master Planning/Site Selection Collection (1958-1984) contains reports, correspondence, legislative bills, studies, maps, photographs, and news clippings related to California’s decision to build a college in the South Bay area of Los Angeles County, the search for a site, and the development of facility and academic master plans. There are also papers, correspondence, and news clippings related to the college gathered by A. Quincy Jones, the Master Architect for the campus.
  • Ten Year History of California State University, Dominguez Hills Collection (1961-1986) contains Harry Nethery's personal account of California State College (later University), Dominguez Hills's founding and early years. In addition to the unedited manuscript, the collection includes a note on the collection transfer from Judson Grenier, memorandum from H.A. Nethery to CSUDH Library Staff and History Faculty, draft instructions, preface, introduction, nine drafted chapters, appendices, and sixteen audiocassettes.
  • Also, browse digitized items from the University Archives →

Images from the Collections

Lighted sign for first CSU Dominguez Hills campus

Lighted sign for first CSU Dominguez Hills campus

one man and three women in graduation regalia in front of books

First CSUDH graduates

campus library building

Leo F. Cain Library building