Electronic Resources Management & Reference/Instruction Librarian
I am also the Assistive Technology Librarian
Full Professor Rank
Current Research Interest:
Assistive technology for users with disabilities & diverse learning styles
Liaison to COE --- I work with students and faculty in College of Education (COE):
- Liberal Studies
- Teacher Education
- Graduate Education
- School Leadership
- Special Education
**Select Research Publications:
1. Ron Bergmann, Jeremiah Woolsey, Wei Ma, Accessible Technology Initiative Strategies: Print to Audio, An Innovative Service, Ed. Tech 2010, http://www.techedevents.org/2010/ Pasadena, CA, April 2010.
2. Ma, Wei, “A database selection expert system based on reference librarian's database selection strategy: A usability and empirical evaluation.” JASIST (Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology), 53/7:567-580, 2002.
3. Jo, Kibbee, David Ward, and Wei Ma, “Virtual Service, Real data: a Real-Time Online Reference Pilot”, Reference Services Review, 30/1: 25-36, 2002.
4. Ma, Wei and Timothy W. Cole. 2001. “Test and evaluation of an electronic database selection expert system”. In Crossing the Divide: Proceedings of the 10th National Conference of the Association of College and Research Libraries. Hugh A. Thompson (editor). Chicago, American Library Association, 2001, pp. 282-290.
5. Ma, Wei and Timothy W. Cole, “Creating an Electronic Database Selection Expert System” Illinois Libraries, Vol. 82, No. 4: 265-269, Fall 2000.
6. Ma, Wei and Timothy W. Cole. “Genesis of an Electronic Database Selection Expert system”, Reference Services Review. Vol. 28, No.3: 207-222, 2000.
7. Ma, Wei, and Joyce Wright, “QB Online: how an old-fashioned question board went electronic”, College & Research Library News, Vol. 59, No. 10: 772-4, 1998.
8. Ma, Wei, February, “The near future trend: combining Web access and local CD network. Experience and a few suggestions”, The Electronic Library, Vol. 16, No. 1: 49-54, 1998. (an international journal)
9. Ma, Wei, "A Scene of Guilin Library in South China", CALA Electronic Journal, No. 1, Nov. 1992.
**Honors, Recognitions, and Outstanding Achievements:
1. Awarded a Certificate of Appreciation for my contributions to the area of Library – Assistive Technology, including producing alternative learning resources needed by students with disabilities, California State University, Dominguez Hills. April 2019.
2. Granted research Sabbatical Leave for 2018-2019. Research topic: “Universal access tool for library users with disabilities in the new digital age (with an emphasis on reading & vision disabilities)”.
3. Recipient of the Research, Scholarly and Creative Activity (RSCA) Faculty Intramural Grant Award, California State University, Dominguez Hills, 2018-2019.
4. Initiated and implemented the From Print to Audio project, titled: “Too Much Reading? Try Listening Instead”. The project was reported by Chronicle of Higher Education (https://www.chronicle.com/blogs/wiredcampus/too-much-reading-try-listening-instead/8996), November 25, 2009 by Simmi Aujla.
5. Received permanent Tenured and promoted to Full Professor & Librarian, California State University, Dominguez Hills, 2008.
6. Received permanent Tenured and promoted to Associate Professor of Library Administration, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2003.
7. Recipient of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign’s Library Faculty and Staff Award for the work with ILCSO VISComm (Illinois State-wide consortium) and its Task Forces, 2002.
8. Recipient of the Literati Club Awards for Excellence 2003 for most “Outstanding Paper” in 2002. This award was given for the paper “Virtual Service, Real data: result of a pilot study” published in Reference Services Review, 2002.
9. Recipient of the 2001 Highly Commended Award nominated by the Editor and the Editorial Advisory Board members of MCB University Press. This award recognizes the research work and for producing and organizing quality, timely, new and useful information for the article entitled: Genesis of an Electronic Database Expert system. 2001.
10. Nominated as the recipient of the Library Faculty and Staff Award 2001 for recognition of outstanding contributions to the University Library and its users, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2001.